Coaches Say This Bad Habit Is Keeping So Many Runners From Reaching Their Potential


So, this is actually another article title, but I've put my spin on it. I encourage you to read the original article as it will provide a deeper understanding of what I'm about to say, and it's genuinely interesting. 

But, it's not necessary.

Nope, it's really not. The only thing that's necessary is to set a goal and chase after it relentlessly.

That's the good habit that makes runners successful. Conversely, not believing in yourself or your abilities, not trusting the process, is a bad habit that holds you back, not just in running, but in life!

I've done this twice, so now I'm an expert, lol. All jokes aside, I understand that I'm atypical, but the lesson still stands. But first, a little backstory to help you understand.

I have always been on the larger side in life, short but stocky. So even back in high school, I looked out of place running. I felt out of place too, I was sweaty, out of breath, and I probably sucked my first year. Actually, there's no "probably," I did suck. But with a ton of practice, sweat, and a little vomit, I came back the next year not sucking so bad. The same thing happened the following year. Through a ton of practice, I found a goal (be good at running), and I made myself decent at it.

Fast forward years later, and I realize how awesome this was. If any of you know the feeling of being overweight and then losing weight because you found your passion, then you know exactly how good this feels. But I'm older now, and I don't run as much for various reasons. My goals changed, my joints don't like it as often, and I'm a lot heavier than in high school.

But I still love it. I recognize the obstacles and achievements it represents to me. And I use that feeling of success whenever I'm down or unmotivated. In those years, I realized life's a race, a marathon even. So all you and I have to do is keep going, one foot in front of the other, and eventually, you'll win.

That’s why I run so many races, even though I don’t run. To remind myself to keep going.

Now I'm sure you're already starting to grasp my lesson here.

That anything is possible with a marathon mindset.

Twice this year, I've run 10-mile races with little to no running training. I lift weights as usual (mid-bulk), I teach my classes and students. But I seriously did not run more than 4 miles to prepare for either of those races. I was unprepared as hell, and logically shouldn’t have done the races. But I never turn down a fitness challenge.

Remember, though, this isn't a brag; it's a lesson.

I didn't train for that specific activity, but I stayed ready. I kept my fitness level at "go muscles" and not "show muscles." So when the time came, I could push myself to do what I wanted.

They were hard, and I doubted myself, but I pushed through it, and my completion times were 99 minutes and 102 minutes. Not too shabby.

Now, let me be the first to say I paid the price; my body was extremely sore from the surprising amount of effort. But I did it. I pushed past the boundary of what I thought was possible, twice. First to see if it was possible to will myself to do something, the second time to test the veracity of the first incident. And it's important you find obstacles that do that in your own life too!

Push your boundaries.

So the next time you think something is impossible, just put one foot in front of the other remember this shits a race and find your pace and GO!

So that one bad habit that's holding you back? It's your weak mindset. I'm sorry for the bluntness, but that's the one thing that has to be hardened and strengthened for you to be your best self, and I'll always be the first to say it. Strengthen your mind!

Outlaw Out ✌️

(link to the other article, https://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/a44178018/runner-imposter-syndrome/ )

Comments

Popular Posts